September 28th Erickson Park, Chippewa Falls control project 1 – 4 PM
2020 MEETING DATES
SEE 2018 PROJECTS/EVENTS DOCUMENT in the PROJECTS PAGE
- Miller Coors Great Water Month Community project – September 30th, Chippewa Falls, WI
- Maiden Rock SNA Work event – October 27th, 9 AM – 1 PM. 3rd annual event to restore oak savanna on 400′ bluff overlooking Lake Pepin
- Andersen Windows Corporation Work Event at Lakeside Park in Menomonie, WI
- Purple Loosestrife Control Event – August 9th, 8:30 AM – 2 PM Ella, WI to Hwy 35 on the Chippewa River
- Invasive Tour – 4-Control Event looking at the chemical treatment of invasives August 15th, 10 AM – 2 PM. Free Lunch and bus tour
- February 9th, 2017 – Chippewa County Rod & Gun Club presentation on invasive plants in the Chippewa Valley. All Chippewa County residents invited. The event will be a Powerpoint presentation with questions and answers with 3 LCIP Board Members. The presentation will start a 6 PM and go for roughly 45 minutes at the Chippewa Rod and Gun Club Clubhouse, 16160 74th Ave, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729. Website of Club
- October 28th, 2016 – Maiden Rock State Natural Area workday. Come and work on invasive plants on top of a 300 bluff overlooking Lake Pepin (Mississippi River). The event runs from 9AM – 1 PM with free lunch to follow. CLICK HERE
- October 17-19th, 2016 – Upper Midwest Invasive Species Conference in LaCrosse, WI. LCIP will be giving two presentations at the conference with topics in Amur Cork Tree and Wild Chervil action and using the Civic Governance Approach to make nonprofits function. CLICK HERE
- September 22nd, 2016 at 2 – 4:30 PM Monthly Meeting in Basement Conference Room 55- Dunn County Community Services Building 3001 US HWY 12 East, Menomonie, WI. (Open meeting and will be held every 4th Thursday of the month at the same location unless otherwise noted)
- July 16th, 2016 – Stockholm Art Fair exhibit. LCIP will be at this event with The Chippewa Savannas Prairie Enthusiasts talking about invasive plant education and control. Come on down to this beautiful location in Stockholm, WI on this Saturday! http://www.stockholmartfair.org/
- June 16th, 2016 – Invasive Species Tour. We looked at 20 invasive plants in 30 miles on a bus going around Menomonie.
- May 13th Mary Gale Japanese Barberry Event Education Event. Come learn about the invasive shrub Japanese Barberry that is taking over some woodlands in West Central Wisconsin starting at 1 PM. (N4799 510th Street, Menomonie, WI 54751, near the Chippewa Valley Golf Course)
- December 18th, 2015 – WDNR, Lower Chippewa River Alliance and Pepin County Land Conservation Department will be working on buckthorn and unwanted vegetation control on the Maiden Rock Bluff State Natural Area near Maiden Rock, WI in Pepin County
- October 23rd, 2015 – Menomonie High School will be working on buckthorn control on the Dunn County Fish and Game Clubhouse property along with a private landowner in Sand Creek Township of Dunn County the entire day. Let us know if you would like to help out
- September 21st, 2015 – Learning & Retired Group Presentation at the Rassbach Museum on Invasive Species basics
- September 17th, 2015 – Hosted WDNR/UWEX Urban Forestry workshop in Menomonie with a tour at Lake Menomin Park looking at buckthorn treatment techniques
- September 12th, 2015 – MillerCoors 7th Annual “Great Water Month” Celebration Work Day at Marshall Park in Chippewa Falls, WI
- August 28th, 2015 – Celebrate the Chippewa River Conference breakout speaker at the Heyde Center for the Arts in Chippewa Falls, WI
- Summer 2015 Assisted with the Project RED, Beaver Creek Reserve AIS monitoring on the Lower Chippewa River below Eau Claire
- June 26th, 2015 Workforce Resource Work Day at Birch Creek SNA
- June 16th, 2015 3M Lunch and Learn Speaker
- June 11th, 2015 2nd Annual Invasive Species Tour
- June 7th, 2015 Menomonie Nature Fest Speaker
- June 6th, 2015 National Trails Day Exhibitor
- May 5th, 2015 3rd Annual Birch Creek Garlic Mustard Control Event
- April 30th, 2015 Mary Gale Garlic Mustard Control Event
- April 24th, 2015 Red Cedar Trail Invasive Species Control Earth Day Event
- April 23rd, 2015 Greg Heit Garlic Mustard Control Event
- April 21st, 2015 Colfax Red Cedar River Environmental Study Area Buckthorn education/eradication event
- April 7th, 2015 3M Earth Day Exhibitor
- March 12, 2015 Red Cedar Conference Exhibitor
- March 7th, 2015 Hay River Transition Initiative Conference Speaker
- March 7th, 2015 CV Wisconsin Woodland Owners Assoc. Conference Speaker
- February 5th, 2015 EC Master Gardeners Ready Set Grow Conference Speaker
- October 23rd, 2014 Community Invasive Species Education/Control Event on Common Buckthorn from 4-7 PM at the Dunn County Fish and Game Club Property next to Wakanda Park in Menomonie (Check out the WCWIPMA Facebook page for a flyer that has more details about this event)
- September 25th, 2014 Invasive Work/Education Event on Common Buckthorn at Hector Property
- August 8th, 2014 at 9 AM, an all-day event. Meeting at W9202 County Road I Pepin WI. Japanese Knotweed education and eradication day. Food, beverages, and work materials will be provided.
- June 13th, 2014 Community Invasive Species Education Event Tour meet at 1 pm at the Red Cedar Trail Depot in Menomonie.
- May 27th, 2014 Citizen Roadside Invasive Species Training at 6:30 PM in the Dunn County Board Room 122/124 – Dunn County Government Center, 800 Wilson Ave., Menomonie, WI 54751 (ALL PUBLIC WELCOME)
- May 16th, 2014 Education/Eradication Event at 1 PM at Birch Creek State Natural Area, Menomonie, WI. See Flyer!
- May 7th, 2014 Colfax Red Cedar River Environmental Study Area Buckthorn education/eradication event
- April 25th, 2014 Red Cedar Trail Garlic Mustard/Community work event at Red Cedar Depot from 12 PM – 3 PM
- April 26th, 2014 Elk Creek Trout Unlimited stream work event for Buckthorn, Garlic Mustard, Honeysuckle at TU property on E9955 410th Ave (Plaquet Drive), Elk Mound, WI 54739 from 9 AM – 12 PM
- WDNR Hoffman Hills Buckthorn Education and Work Event November 9th, 9:00 AM. Contact Calvin Kunkle, WDNR Assistant Property Manager/Ranger at 715-232-1242 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are planning on attending for more details. WCWIPMA will be providing equipment for the event.
- October 16, 2013 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 2:30-5:00 PM Buckthorn Education/Work Event with Menomonie Middle School and UW-Stout Students in Menomonie, WI.
- September 13, 2013 from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM – Neighborhood Invasive Eradication Demo at Carson Park in Eau Claire, WI
- July 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM – Neighborhood Invasive Eradication Demo at Fairfax Park in Eau Claire, WI
- May 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM – Neighborhood Invasive Eradication Demo at Birch Creek State Natural Area in Menomonie, WI
LCIP PAST EVENT STORIES
October 23, 2014. Yesterday, a group of UW-River Falls students, community members from across the area came to the Dunn County Fish and Game Association property in Menomonie to learn about and work on buckthorn. We had all kinds of hand tools and a chainsaw cutting, pulling, lopping, etc for almost 3 hours. All in all, we removed about 2-3 compressed dump trucks loads in a few hours. 59 hours of volunteer hours were accumulated. Thanks also to 4-Control, Inc., Dunn Land Conservation Division and Ted Ludwig of Red Cedar Basin Monitoring Group for helping make this project happen!
September 25th, 2014. WCWIPMA hosted an event just south of Menomonie on a private property on Common Buckthorn education and action. 24 highly energetic Menomonie Middle School students with 9 adult participants from all over West Central Wisconsin attended to put in over 85 hours of volunteering. Overall, we cut and treated or pulled close to one acre of Common Buckthorn. The next step will use our WDNR grant funding to have a professional herbicide applicator apply Garlon 4 basal bark treatment herbicide in a few weeks. Thanks to all that attended and helped us out! We truly thank the community effort.
August 8th, 2014. WCWIPMA hosted an event in rural Pepin County on Japanese Knotweed education and action. 33 Participants from all over West Central Wisconsin attended to put in over 150 hours of volunteering in. Overall we cut or mowed down Japanese Knotweed at four different landowner properties to total over 5 acres. The next step will use our WDNR grant funding to have a professional herbicide applicator apply either Milestone or Arsenal herbicide after the plant grows to 3 feet, or in a few weeks. Thanks to all that attended and helped us out! We truly appreciate the community effort we did.
June 13th, 2014. WCWIPMA held an education tour on invasive plants that invade the roadsides of Dunn County. We had attendees from throughout our region attend. We visited 7 invasive species sites found by Dunn County Master Gardeners in 2013. These locations were found during our roadside surveys by volunteers. We are planning another tour next year to showcase more of the 21 different invasive plants found in the area.
May 7th, 2014. WCWIPMA worked with some Colfax Biology Class students at their Red Cedar River Environmental Study site, just north of Colfax. Our group provided education and demonstration on buckthorn before the students and teacher worked diligently for many hours hand pulling the buckthorn. We had a lot of fun and made a large dent in the buckthorn population on their property.
April 25th, 2014. WCWIPMA participated in an Earth Day event with Menomonie Middle School and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Our group provided education and demonstration on the invasives located on the Red Cedar Trail in Menomonie near the Depot on HWY 29, just west of Menomonie. We worked with Paul Verdon’s class to eradicate buckthorn, bush honeysuckles, and garlic mustard. The kids and adults had a blast. Here are some pictures to prove that invasive species removal can be fun!
September 13th, 2013. WCWIPMA held an educational/volunteer event at Carson Park in Eau Claire, WI. This event was part of the “DAY OF CARING” that was organized by United Way. There were 590 volunteers working throughout the city. We had 27 people attend our event. We talked about WCWIPMA in how it is growing throughout the community. Then we discussed the history, personal accounts, eradication methods, and future outlooks. We gave a quick instruction on how to use our equipment then sent the volunteers out into the park to cut and stack the plants. The City of Eau Claire then showed up to perform the chemical application of Garlon 4 the cut stumps. The group worked from 9:00-Noon tirelessly. Thank you, Roberta Kostka, Eau Claire Volunteer Coordinator for your help in organizing this event with us. We will be back next year. Thank you, volunteers, that made this event fun and successful. Check out the pictures of the event below.
July 16th, 2013. WCWIPMA held an educational/work event at Fairfax Park in Eau Claire, WI. We had 28 people attend the event in +90 F heat. The presentations were on Japanese Knotweed on how it came to the USA, spread, current locations, control methods, and success/failure stories. The talk ended and then the crew of volunteers worked on cutting down, hauling, and stacking the plant. After 3 hours of work, the group ended cutting enough Japanese Knotweed to fill a large dump truck. The City of Eau Claire Parks will come in the early fall to spray the regrowth to get an effective control on the plant. We only cut around a 1/3 of what exists in the park. We will be back again soon to work on the site. Thank you for all the volunteers that helped us make the event a success!
May 23rd, 2013 Neighborhood Invasive Eradication Demo at Birch Creek State Natural Area in Menomonie, WI. Over 20 people attended the event that included education on what invasives are, demos on how to identify Japanese Barberry, Garlic Mustard and Bush Honeysuckles, then an hour and a half of hand-pulling garlic mustard. We look forward to our next volunteer event in Eau Claire on July 16th on Japanese Knotweed in Fairfax Park.